Monday, April 11, 2011

My 1st Experience @ IBS

In March, I volunteered with Eve Pearl Cosmetics and her team to work in the International Beauty Show (IBS) at the Jacob Javitts Center for 4 days.  It was an experience that I will always cherish and be grateful to have been able to do.  Honestly, I was afraid to do this intern cause I have never used Eve Pearl Cosmetics prior to it.  I'm a huge fan of her on YouTube and have been following her since 2009, but I know that is not the same thing. The first time we spoke over the phone, Eve told us what she expected as well as providing us with advise.  Her words really eased anyone's anxiety attacks especially mine, lol cause I felt so much better and said to myself "I can do this!"  It was so comforting to get good advise from her.   

The first day was Friday, March 4, we were asked to be at the Javitts Center at 11:00 a.m. The center is HUGE and it was my first time even there (yes I live in NY, haha).  This was the "set-up" day but spent almost all day waiting for the equipment cause it didn't arrive until 3:00 p.m.  However, it was nice speaking and getting to know Eve Pearl's team and other interns during the wait.  All the ladies were very nice.  As soon as the equipment arrived, we got straight to work and we got the honor to meet Eve Pearl.  I had to leave @ 4:00 p.m. and Saturday was the second day of "set-up" but I couldn't make it so can't comment more...  Saturday evening, I prepared all my things to avoid doing last minute runs and went to sleep at 8:00 p.m. to be ready on Sunday the first day of the show.

Sunday, March 6, my day would start by waking up at 4:30 a.m. to get fully prepared with makeup on, leave my house at 6:30 a.m. so I can arrive at 8:00 a.m.  We were expected to be at the Javitts Center 8:30 a.m.  I've always seen the madness on YouTube about these shows but it's a whole different ball game in person.  Doors opened at 9:00 a.m. and it was CRAZY how so many people were coming from every angle.  I was placed to work 'Contacts', which means I was the one bugging you as you walked to sign up for E.P mailing list, try the products and/or get a free makeover.  At first, I felt awkward, but after a while it was cool.  At the end of the day it wasn't so cool on my feet standing 10 hours straight...God Bless You All in the Profession that requires standing!!!!  Eve held a class to talk and show how her products work and I was fortunate to assist in this class.  I learned so much by what she had to say.  She's a really smart business woman and you can learn a lot from her.  Her class is worth every bit cause she can make you feel so comfortable and help with any fears you may have just wash away.  It was confident to know that she started as a secretary (like me) and now raising her own empire...LESSON - NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS NO MATTER WHAT "WALLS" STANDS IN YOUR WAY...  The show ended at 6:30 p.m. and with a group photo with the team.  I "limped" not walked outside to a pouring night and thankfully my family picked me up.  I was greeted with flowers and of course my boys sweet smiles that made all the pain go away.

As I got ready @ 5:20 a.m.

Pics before opening and after
I arrived home with full energy like ADHD, hahaha telling my family my experience.  It's funny because during the moment of all the madness, you don't feel tired, hungry, pain or anything until things are wrapped up then you feel every ache and pain.  I soaked my feet in warm/hot water and prepared myself for the next day.  Monday, I woke up the same time and did the same routine when I remembered I had to handle something very important.
I arrived late to the show and left at 4:00 p.m. so that day went very quick for me.  It was a bit slow, which surprised me cause I thought it would have been just the opposite due to  the bad weather on Sunday.  I continued to work with contacts and observed more & more the makeovers.  It's very simple and the same way she shows on all her YT videos.  Her products are amazing!!!!  I saw people with so many flaws and once they got touched up you wouldn't even think they did.  Their skin would look so beautiful like they didn't have anything on and was "perfectly" born with ravishing skin (we wish!).  I was becoming more anxious to get my hands on doing makeovers, but kept my composer, haha.  So I left to rush home cause my my 5 yr. old son was receiving student of the month award @ 7p.m. and of course I wouldn't miss that for the world.  Congratulations Marcus!!!!    

Tuesday, the last day of the show, I arrived at 8 a.m. hoping to get a makeover by one of E.P's team members or even better Eve Pearl herself before doors opened to the public, but it just didn't work out.  Doors opened at 9:00 a.m. and a little upset
that I didn't have any makeup on and my skin mainly my face was out of control due to a health issue I'm experiencing, I was uncomfortable being that I was out of my element, but I was ready to work.  
Today was Student Day, which means most students studying in the field would come like a school trip.  It also meant that each booth had to be alert due to many past incidents of items being stolen.  Still a little upset about not having any makeup, I was approached by a sweet young girl who asked me if I can give her makeover.  It was like a switch button -  before 9:00 a.m. it was off and as soon as that girl asked me that question it turned on.  

I started to apply makeup at 9:00 a.m. and didn't stop until 3:45 p.m. I didn't even realized it was almost time for me to go home. I was so shocked how I worked through all those hours.  However, it felt great to do makeovers and seeing the customer happy with there final look.  This is what makes me feel happy and the motivation to continue my love for makeup.  

Becoming a full time makeup artist is very hard especially since it's very competitive, but I really enjoy doing this intern cause it gave me more of an insight of this industry.  I look forward to working with Eve Pearl and team again and finally being able to be at a show.

Monday, as I headed to the show

Eve Pearl & Me on the last day of the show

No comments:

Post a Comment